Tuesday 17 May 2011

MY CHROCHET ATTEMPTS!

After seeing Emma's beautful chrocheted blanket I decided to have a go myself! See it here................   http://emshappyhandiworks.blogspot.com/

To be honest, when I was about 19 I started chrocheting a purple and white (the 'in' colours in the 70's!) blanket - it was made up of loads of squares that had to be sewn together.  I was going to have it as a bed throw for when I married in 1973.  It never really got past the size of a cot blanket though! 
I don't know why I didn't finish it, it's too long ago to remember now - maybe I run out of wool and by then we'd moved to another county.

Anyway, I had to be shown how to start up again and my friend Sue sat down and showed me and I was off!  I decided on lovely colours of Heather, Bluebell, Purple and White and this was done in one continuous square, so much easier to do, I think.

Halfway through doing it - I saw a pattern that Sue had done for cushion covers and thought they were really lovely.  Sue had actually done one so I copied the pattern and decided to do some for Emma and Bob for their upcoming 10th Anniversary!

I chose a Chocolate Brown and a Turquoise which I thought would go with her recently decorated living room and beavered away at them, even on our week away on holiday and managed to get them done the night before I was due to see Emma to give her their card and other present!!!






This is the tops of the cushions to which I partly sewed up either side of the top and added a button from my button box.  Interestingly, the brown button belonged to a cardigan that belonged to Emma's late Dad!






It was a quite time consuming pattern that had to be counted out alot - so I was quite pleased that I'd actually been able to do them!  Emma was genuinely pleased that I had made these for her, so that made all my efforts worthwhile!








I then went back to my original blanket I was doing - I thought it would be nice to have one for my lap for when I use my wheelchair.  So this is the end result, which I am very proud of!






























It seemed much easier to just keep going around in a square than doing individual squares!

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

Those cushions you made for Em are absolutely beautiful! Well done! I love the colors. Your blanket too is lovely. I agree, the square pattern does seem a lot easier to do!